Linen Fabric is amongst the most versatile and durable fabrics. This high-end elegant fabric is popularly known for its use in summer clothes. It’s regal and highly breathable. Here is everything you need to know about this luxury fabric.
This strong lightweight linen fabric is made from the flax plant. The fabric threads in linen are woven in a straight line and are named from the Latin word for flax. Its use dates back to Mesopotamia. It was used as burial shrouds and wrappings for mummies which is intact even today. This speaks largely of the durability of the fabric. In ancient Egypt, mass production of linen was undertaken wherein it was traded as currency amongst elites. Linen is as old as our scriptures and books.
Flax is popularly grown in France, Belgium, China, Canada and Italy. It is supplied to the rest of the world where it is turned into linen further. The highest quality linen is produced in Italy. China is leading the Linen production in World and has the largest Linen factory in Harbin.
The process of extracting Linen fibres from flax plants is a long one. It is an expensive and time-consuming process despite the established similarities between cotton and linen. The linen production is both automated and manual, depending on the process.
Here’s an entire production process of getting a linen fabric.
- To maintain the length of fibres, flax plants are uprooted from the ground rather than being cut.
- They are then left in the field to decompose. This is done to easily separate the fibres from the flax plant.
- The extracted fibres are further stored inside to soften.
- Thereafter, the flax fibres are combed to remove debris and dirt. This process separates long and short fibres.
- The long fibres are twisted and further spun while they are still wet to make them super soft. The long fibres are used in the production of bedsheets and clothes.
- The sturdy linen is made using short fibres which are twisted dry. They are used for sewing tough fabrics and upholstery.
Qualities of Linen fabric
- Linen is highly absorbent. It retains the water well making it perfect for towels and sheets.
- It is extremely lightweight and breathable. It is a perfect summer fabric because it allows the air to easily pass through.
- Linen holds the structure of garments beautifully and won’t change even after repeated washes. It has less stretch and is more sturdy.
- Linen softness increases after every wash. The soft and smooth texture of linen is irresistible to deny.
- Linen is an environmentally friendly fabric. Its production doesn’t take away a whole lot of water and energy resources.
- Linen is naturally hypoallergenic making the insects repel.
Washing care of linen fabric
- Linen can be washed by hand or in a machine without any adequate care. However, it is recommended to use a gentle detergent to retain its softness for a long.
- To avoid wrinkles on linen, take them out of the dryer while it is still damp. Hang it to dry and avoid excessive direct sunlight.
- Iron Linen on high heat using some steam.
Also, Read : Step Up Your Style with These Top 5 Jacquard Silk Sarees
That’s all. Linen is expensive. But worthy of splurge and investment. You would love the conscious and sustainable decisions you would make for your fashion wardrobe. Explore Vogzy and get your hands on high-quality linen fabrics ready to be dyed and delivered to you at your convenience. Explore now.